Re: [RC] Future of Arabian horses - heidi

5.  In TX, only endurance riders and a few show people have Arabians.

Just want to say that this is absolutely NOT true! I'm located in
Central Texas, but now Arab owners in east Texas, as well as Houston,
Austin and Dallas areas. The vast majority are "backyard" horse owners
and breeders who have Arabians! They don't show, they don't do
endurance, they just love Arabian horses. In fact, one of my major
frustrations with my local Arab club is that I am the ONLY one who is
interested in endurance! And no, they're not going to shows either. Most
people just like to go poking along on short trail rides. These are not
rich people who have these Arabs, I'm talking about a lady who works in
a school cafeteria, a nurse, a sheet metal salesman, etc. Just average,
everyday folks.

Nell, after you said this, I realized I shouldn't have pled ignorance to
the Arabs in Texas, either.  I just judged the Crabbet Alliance of Texas
Maturity (in Terrell, TX, not far out of the D/FW area)--they have two
shows a year (their Maturity and their Futurity), and they are low-key fun
events.  Most of the folks who show there neither endurance ride nor show,
other than coming out to these two events.  All are "regular" folks.  The
Wallises and Carrie Stewart are the only ones in the group, to the best of
my knowledge, who endurance ride--one or two others have done a ride or
two, and one or two are "thinking about it."  A couple of them do show a
bit Class A.  One does some jumping and eventing.  The rest just enjoy and
ride their horses for the fun of it.  I judged Hunter classes with riders
in blue jeans and horses wearing bright orange biothane tack, and western
classes with riders in tank tops (can imagine the purists having the
vapors, but hey, these folks were having FUN!).

That's how the Arabs used to be in this country--and it is refreshing to
see a group of people once again just out having a family weekend with
their Arabians and having a good time.