Re: [RC] fear - Truman Prevatt

Some people that do some very crazy things with their lives - like jump out of perfectely good airplanes at high altitude at night, glide for a long ways looking for bad guys and then dropping in to get them - told me that yoga helps. I used to use yoga when I played a lot of competitive tennis. I really helped there to keep you mind focused and totally aware of what was going on.

Yoga tends to help you learn to focus - tune out the "outer mind" and tune in the "inner mind."  When I skied a lot I always said you don't get hurt when you are skiing - you get hurt when you stop skiing but are still on the slope. I think the exact thing is ture for horses - you get hurt when you lose your focus. Yes there are freak accidents, however, if you are focused you have a much better chance to recover and not get hurt - at least as bad. Coming back and over coming the fear requires focusing on riding at that instant of time and tuning out all the other stimuli.

Try yoga, it comes highly reccomended by some people that should know how to deal with their fear.

Truman

larry Miller wrote:
Breathe deep, think positive, think about the wonderful time you are going to have on trail.  Talk to the horse too.  It helps.  Maggie has dumped me at least 4 times from her sudden spooks.  2 were honest, 2 were playing with me.  One was a bad fall, had 3 bruises on my butt for a month.  But the horse that gives me the most fear is my young one who is now 7 and truly is a piece of cake to ride.  I have gotten better but the fear is still there.  I am not giving up though, so I breathe deep, think positive and pleasant thoughts, and try to pretend I am still 29 and holding.  Jeanie

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."