[RC] Purina Athlete. - Dean A. Conti

Judy,

About six months ago I started feeding Athlete to two of our horses, one is a picky eater and the other is my endurance horse, Jimmy. Jimmy gets grain once a day consisting of three cups of Athlete with lots of beet pulp and three cups of crimped oats. I also include general vitamins, selenium and biotin supplements. He lives on plenty of Western Washington pasture (low selenium) with access to Eastern Washington Timothy hay. The day before and the day of an endurance ride I cut the amount of Athlete and oats in half. This seems to help him keep weight on better and I have not noticed any ill effects, including when we had a 100 deg endurance ride in Bend, OR. Why do you say it is “poison” when the weather gets hot? Is the Athlete formula the same now as it was 15 years ago? Anyone else have a problem with Athlete?

Dean

From: Judy Houle <judyshatir@xxxxxxxxx>

Subject: [RC]   L-Tryptophan

L-Tryptophan is an amino acid, not a drug.  It is found in turkey which is why everyone wants to crash after Thanksgiving dinner.  You can buy it at health food stores.  As far as Ultium goes, I have not been a big fan of Purina ever since my horse colicked on Purina Athlete which was marketed to endurance riders

15 years ago.  It was great as long as the weather didn't get hot, but was poison if it did.  I heard Becky Hart was offered an unlimited supply of it if she endorsed it and she declined.