[RC] East Bay Ride- The Fun Ride! - Nick Warhol

Hi everyone- The Pacific South International group put on the East Bay Ride in Oakland, Ca. this past weekend.   We tried a couple of new things this year- an Elevator ride, and an all new Fun Ride.   The Elevator ride concept worked very well, and actually made the running of the ride a little easier.  We had four riders elect to elevate, and all four finished the 50.   The hit of the weekend, however, was the Fun Ride.  It was an experimental 10 mile, practice endurance ride that actually offered yet another elevator option to a 15 mile ride.  We designed it especially for the absolute beginner and had 28 starters.  We had a special presentation to the Fun Riders by Julie Suhr and Becky Hart that was a highlight of the weekend to many people.  Every fun rider we talked to enjoyed the event immensely, and I would not be surprised to see a bunch of new AERC members in the next few weeks.  They were all asking “Where do we get stethoscopes? Forget that, where are those heart rate monitors?  Did you see that neat tack you can wash with water?  Check out those saddle covers!  And those stirrups!  Did you see the water tank in her trailer?  I didn’t have any idea what a gut sound was.  Why so many Arabians!”    I could go on all day.   We feel we have found a very valuable tool to help beginners try the sport in a safe, fun, controllable environment.  I am working on writing up a “how to” document that I’ll share with the education committee, ride managers, and anyone else that is interested in learning more.

I want to give a special thanks to fellow Ridecamper Becky Hackworth, who is making and selling really nice Polarfleece coolers.   She donated one to our incredible raffle, and better yet, she brought four along with her to sell at the ride, for only $100, and would donate $50 for each sold to Pacific South.   Of course she sold them all right away, and donated $200 more to our organization.   Thanks Becky!  That’s very generous.   I didn’t get mine in time, so she better extend the offer for at least one more!  I want the checkered flag model.   Any other takers?  I guess I should check with her first, huh?

Oh yeah, Marcia Smith won the 50 by quite a margin and got BC on Samson, I believe.   What a horse!

Thanks also to all our sponsors who helped us with our amazing raffle:  Equipedic,  Dynamite Products,  Arbee Ice Boots,  Reactor Panel Saddles,  Trail Rite Products,  Australian Connection,  Sportack,  Tamber Bey ineyards (Barry Waite),  Just for Horsin’ Around, Pat Frederickson, Concord Feed,  Finta Hay,  lots of Pac South Individuals.   I’d also like to thanks the volunteers that made putting on the ride possible.   I’m looking forward to next year already!

Nick Warhol