[RC] barefooting - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Jerry equineinnova@xxxxxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I try not to read ride camp anymore.  Most of the time I find it offensive.
But this talk about barefoot riding I have to respond.  I've been doing it now
for better than 6 years.  I have all of my horses (Arabs) and a mule barefoot.
When need be I boot.  And I can honestly say that I haven't had any feet
problems since I started the program.  I too have read Jamie Jacksons books and
the good Dr from Germany.  But like all things you have to take a little from
each and add some comon since.
I have found that it takes at least on full hoof cycle for the foot to
normalize.  Then it's sort of down hill from there.  Most people don't want to
WAIT(!!!) and do it right.  They expect miracles over night.

Boots are a good way to get thru that time.  I find that the Swiss Horse Boots
are the best for me.  And several others out there also agree.

All others are trying to say that they are the leaders in booting.  And this is
just not true.

We tend to forget that Easyboots were designed as a temporary replacement.  Not
a full time shoe or "Barefoot miracle".  Old Mac's didn't really fit the bill
either.  If nothing else too expensive and they do fall apart (oh yes believe
it or not!) and then along comes boaboots???

They are all good for someone.  Do your homework treat your mounts right.  Take
care of their feet and if you are going to go barefoot expect some down time
and give those feet time to get the blood flowing and the nerves in those feet
a chance to come back.  And above all don't try and rush the process.  Mother
nature says that there is NO SHORT CUTS!!  It takes time every time all the
time.

Good luck

Jerry Young
A California/Nevada Rider and an Endurance rider for some 25 odd years.