Re: [RC] Maine endurance newbie - Vicki Austin

Victoria,  Bangor is about 2 1/2 away from South Paris
so we are not really close, BUT some of us travel
periodically just for the fun of it and ride with
people we don't see or ride with often.  Or sometimes
we meet at a place in between us to ride.

People do share expenses and travel together sometimes
to rides but it is sometimes difficult to find not
only someone nearby but also someone planning on the
same rides as you.  You said you don't drive???  Are
you a junior (under 18?)  Many of us love to take jrs
to rides and sponsor them.

Most of us in ECTRA also ride endurance.  It is really
a good idea to join ECTRA at the very least and AERC
as well if you plan on endurance. You will get a list
of rides and be able to find the ones closest to you.
By the way there are several just in this area
(Norway, South Paris, Waterford, Sumner) so you don't
need to go far.

If you have borium studds put on shoes for your horse
you can ride anywhere.   We trot across sheets of ice
if we have to just to get "out and ride" and we ride
almost exclusively on the sides of the roads and on
dirt roads. I could not stand not riding my horse for
a whole winter!!!!  He would be a basketcase (some
people think he is anyway)  It is bad enough that it
has been to cold to ride most of Dec and Jan.  Feb is
comming soon and we will be able to ride regularly
again. YIPPEE!!!!!!   I HATE the cold.  I handle
summer heat much better as does my horse.

Hope to see you on the trail!!!   Vicki

--- "V.Roush" <gypsydancer@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, guys.
 To answer you all, I live in Bangor and board Fionn
on Greenfield Rd. (just past Milford).  Any of you
nearby?

Riding in winter...Fionn's field is on a slant which
the melted snow runs continuosly down, causing a
sheet of ice that the horses won't even try to walk
up at this point.  The driveway, which is just about
the only way off the property short of plowing
through thick brush, is also iced over.  So, you see
why I can't ride this winter!  Hopefully by next
year I can move Fionn somewhere both closer to me
and easier to get off of!

I'll definitely check out the ECTRA site.  Do you
all belong?  One question if you do:  ever here of
people sharing rides?  I'm not planning on buying a
trailer for a few more years (especially since I
don't drive, *L*)

 - Victoria

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/