Re: [RC] Thanks! - Vicki Austin

Victoria,  unfortunatly there is no "tried and true"
trail saddles.   It is whatever works for you and your
horse and it is an individiual thing.   For years I
used my dressage saddles with mixed results, then I
got a horse that cannot tolerate a tree of any kind
after about 50 miles and has sores somewhere.  I
finnally gave in and got a endurance sport saddle
(after two years of torturing my horse with six
saddles of various diciplines (dressage, forward seat,
close contact, endurance english, endurance western),
you name it I tried it ,  I even sent one saddle away
for restuffing (to template) as I was convinced THAT
would work.   Then I got the sport saddle and have
never looked back.  Other people cannot use sports
saddles so it is sooooooooooo individual.  You just
have to try the saddle you like first and if it
doesn't make your horse or you sore you are all set.
If it does than you have to find what will work.
Hope this helps.    Vicki

--- "V.Roush" <gypsydancer@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks for the warm welcome, guys!  As a former
mid-atlantic hunter/jumper/dressage rider, it's nice
to find an equine sport that's not so...how should I
say this...exclusive.  I'm even thinking of taking
*western* riding lessons (sounds like fun to me, but
I'm sure my old trainer is rolling over in his grave
right now).

That reminds me, though...one more question.  I've
always ridden in an english saddle, because I just
like them better.  There's nothing wrong with
western saddles, but I just find them a bit heavy
and uncomfortable.  I saw someone on this list
posting about using a dressage saddle.  Is there any
reason why doing CTR/endurance in an english saddle
would be a bad idea?

Also, if there are others who use english saddles
here, maybe someone can point me in the direction of
english traiol saddles.  I remember seeing them in
the Dover catalog many years ago, and I'm sure
they're still sold somewhere.  Dover called them
"park saddles" or some such.  They had lots of D
rings and a much more padded seat.  Dover also used
to sell different kinds of pouches and saddle bags
to fit english trail saddles.  Anyone heard of any
of this lately?

 - Victoria

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/