[RC] Barefoot - Good & Bad - Wendy Mancini

    My QH & my friend's Arab both have excellent, thick walled hooves.  They had both been barefoot for at least 3 years & going on sand, gravel & stone when we did our first 25 mile ride.  They did fine.  It was sandy, NJ soil but you could see that their hooves were sanded down.  Two weeks later we went for a 25 in the PA mountains.  Both horses were worn sore & were close to foundering.
    That was the last time we tried to do a ride barefoot.
    They go barefoot during the off season & do great.  When it's time for rides they are in Ground Control shoes.
    Wild horses did fine barefoot but they were not out doing 25, 50 or 100 miles at a trot all in one shot.
    Learned my lesson the hard way.

Wendy Mancini