Re: [RC] Hi there! Newbie here - Vicki Austin

Hi Victoria,   A horse is never to "old" to start
anything (IMHO )  I would suggest CTR to start though
as it is more controled and a little slower (usually)
I have a student that started her 30 year old  morgan
in Ctr and then the next year drove her in a 25 mile
Ctr and the next (when she was 32) took her to several
dressage shows and won Grand Champion awards with her.
It all depends on the way the horse is built,
injuries it has or has had, conditioning, and
attitude.  (also yours)  So start and have fun!!!!

As for Maine, most of us in Maine put ice shoes on our
horses and continue to ride.   We also go to the beach
all winter, it is the only place in the winter you can
really let your horse gallop to open up his pipes.
Some also go to indoor arenas a couple of times a week
to get some dressage training and keep your horse
flexible with ring work.  Hope this helps.    Vicki
(also, but not Victoria)

--- "V.Roush" <gypsydancer@xxxxxxx> wrote:
I hope I'm sending this to the right place...just
got a new ISP, so who knows:-p.

My name's Victoria, I have a 14-yr-old QH named
Fionn (fin).  We're both interested in endurance.
I've been reading all the articles for newbies on
endurance.net, but there's one question I haven't
seen answered:  is a 14-yr-old horse too old to
start this stuff?  I'm not planning to take off to
Tevis with him or anything, but maybe some local 25
mile rides, ro start us both out (*months* from now
when we're both in better shape).  He's a good
strong little guy, an ex-Texas cowpony, as close to
bombproof as they come, and in very good condition,
considering everything.

Also, we haven't worked at all since November,
because his field and the surrounding area is
covered in ice (I'm in Maine).  If we start training
in, say, late March, could we be ready to do a
couple of rides by fall?  Hopefully I'll have him
moved to somewhere less snowbound by next year:-)
Thanks for the help!

 - Victoria

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/