[RC] Dare to go bare! - Mike Sofen - Karen

Mike & Kathy Kelly wrote:
>>He didn't show any wear on his hinds after those rides, but I'm
sure they
wouldn't wear as much as fronts would. <<

I would expect just the opposite, if a horse was using his hind
quarters
efficiently/effectively, the hinds would wear more quickly.  A horse
heavy
on the forehand should wear the fronts more quickly.  Is this a
correct
assumption?

Mike
Sofen

Mike -- my horse Weaver has always worn thru his hind easyboots first.  Well, okay so he hasn't worn thru the fronts, but the backs have worn thru and get the most wear, the tread disappears faster than the fronts. The nice thing with easyboots if that you can look at them later and see how evenly they are being worn (or not).  Now Rocky is more of an even wearer to his boots, but overall lighter in them.  My horses also wear thru the front 1/2 forward of the boot (towards the toe) first.  I know that is backwards of some.  Whatever, it works.....:-)

I can always tell how difficult a ride was to the horses based upon how the easyboots look afterwards.  I am just glad that it's always been the boots taking that, rather than my horses foot.  Think it really makes a difference in the long run.

Karen
in NV