[RC] Barefoot at Gator Run - Darolyn Butler-Dial

1 21 04

Hi Folks,
All the barefoot talk & questions has been really interesting.  Glad to
see this interchange again.  My horses have a pretty nice success story
from last weekend at the Gator Run in Florida.  First off, hats off to
Mike & Connie Caudill for putting on a class act ride.  Trails were marked
very well, Nancy did her normal great timing job and vets were wonderful.
Things backed up a time or so, but for close to 100 riders on day II & III
we thought it went well.  Awards were ample and generous.

The warm weather (relatively speaking) was delightful and the trail
conditions were perfect.  Day I is mainly road which accounted for the
3:31 55 miler won by Debbie Foty, then the subsequent days slowed the time
a bit as more of the trails were in the swampy, but pleasant forest, and
no, no one spotted an Alligator this year.

Our "Bare Foot" horses had a hay day.  I swear they have a metabolic
advantage with those four little hearts in their feet working much easier
being "bare" than shod.  Two of our group were Top Ten on Day I,  (there
may have been other "barefooters" than I was not aware of), Four of us on
Day II, (the winning 30 miler was barefoot too), and Five of us on day
III.  That included a Va. Horse.

My neat little mare, DJB Tiffany, (rescued from a country horse sale two
years ago) won the Pioneer Award by over 30 minutes & most impressively,
the BC award on Her 3rd Day while running against fresh horses.  Daniel
Grande, our guest from Brazil, put in a brilliant performance on DJB
Abednigo, and ended up 4th in the Pioneer Standings.  Both of these horses
were literally pulling our arms out that last day, simply defying us to go
the medium pace we had predicted we would do on the 3rd day.

Vicki Hudson's barefoot mares put in awesome performances too.  DJB Ninety
Proof, a.k.a. Belle, finished 5th & 4th, and Kolahni won (tied with
Daniel) on Day III.  I must confess, our BC scores were all within 2
points of each other.  Our top times ranged from 3:55 to 4:21 for the
three days.

I had the opportunity to spend some quality time with Martha Olivo, whom I
consider to be one of the best natural trimmers and teachers in the United
States, over the holidays.  She did a two-day clinic at my place and two
other mini-clinics at the Houston Mounted Police Dept.  That's right, the
mounted police!!!!  There are two barefoot horses down there now.

I watched Martha do three different dissections of cadaver hooves and
increased my knowledge of how the foot works ten-fold.  I'm not sure
Martha has an equal when it comes to dissecting a hoof and explaining how
all the parts work.  It was sure an eye opener for me.  And of course,
convinced me more than ever that the health of a barefoot horse is much
superior to his shod counterpart.

She has developed a new teaching tool that "graphs" the horse's foot so
even a "hoof newbie" can figure out what needs to be done to the hoof.  &
this is where I once again, caution everyone against just going out &
yanking those shoes and expecting it to work.  These are the three things
that one has to have to expect success:
#1 the correct physiological trim, #2 movement (turnout 24/7), and hooves
immersed in water with some degree of regularity.  I cannot encourage you
guys enough to make time in your life to attend one of her clinics.  If
she is not having one near you, heck fire, contact her manager & schedule
one yourself.   I guarantee, it will change your life and your horse's
life.

I ended up doing a pretty serious touch up (trim) on 7 of the 8 horses
that we took to Fl. on Wednesday before the ride.  I just didn't have time
b4 we left. I used the new method that Martha has introduced.  (I've been
trimming for 3 years now but this is a bit of a new twist).  Yes, I know,
the sandy roads are pretty forgiving in Fl., but even then, 155 miles in
just over 12 hours?  Their feet all looked beautiful afterward.  Smooth
and supple.  No chips, breakage, or over wear.  I swear they were growing
as fast as they were wearing.

The true "barefooters" don't wrap or poultice, and there was no stocking
up on these horses... even the 3 day ones.  They looked good Sunday and
even after an almost straight through haul back to Texas (850 miles) they
hit the ground at a big trot to get back to their pastures on Monday
morning.

All I can say is check out Martha's web site, www.marthaolivo.com
<http://www.Marthaolivo.com >  or go to mine and check all the barefoot
links that I have listed.  Its such an incredible education that you, as a
horse owner, should not pass up.  Ladies, it is so liberating to be able
to spot a problem with a foot or the way a horse is traveling, just go
back to the barn, pull out your rasp and fix that sucker.  Read my whole
"barefoot" adventure on my web page.

I'm anxious to take a look at the Boa boots, but Martha is also supposing
to have a new "hoof protection" boot out soon too.   Yes, I'm afraid on
the really bad rocks, I have to have some protection.  Someday perhaps, if
I am able to train on rocks, that will change too.

Hope everyone is having a great year and getting rid of those iron shoes.
Dare
Darolyn Butler-Dial & Mark Dial
      CYPRESS TRAILS EQUESTRIAN CENTER & HORSEMAN VIDEO SHOWCASE
             Proven Endurance Horses for Sale or Lease.
Adventure Trail Rides * Boarding * Training*Lessons *Parties
Represents:   Sharon Saare Saddles, Professional Choice, Advanced
Biological Concepts,  & KM (Human Electrolytes)
ADVOCATE :THE WHOLE HORSE TRIM (Barefootin")
21415 Cypresswood Dr.  Humble, Texas 77338
        Ph:  281 446 7232    Fax 281 446 0113  Toll Free (800) 228 8768
      e mail: darolyn@xxxxxxxxxx <mailto:darolyn@xxxxxxxxxx>
www.horseridingfun.com