[RC] barefoot horse - Nancy Reed

Laurie,

Please be careful if you decide to pull shoes.  It can cause trouble.  My quarter horse mare has problem feet.  She kept getting quarter cracks, bad ones.  When I found out about Old Macs, I thought all my hoof problems were history.  Even had a special hoof and leg vet OK pulling the shoes.  About 4 days after shoes were pulled Sierra came down with laminitis.  It was a moderate case, but could have killed her.  The vet felt the laminitis was due to hoof expansion.  She has old feet that will not tolerate the expansion afforded by going barefoot.  Took several months to heal, but Sierra is fine today, 18 months later.

I realize I have big trouble when I have horse trouble, so I suspect you will be fine.  But be careful and watchful if you pull shoes.  I fixed my hoof problems with Biotin –Plus, 50mg supplement and a new farrier. Good luck!

Nancy Reed

Lazy J Ranch

Elfin Forest, California