[RC] FW: Farriers woes and barefoot - Brenda Jo Jones

Please add my post…thanks…b.

-----Original Message-----
From: Brenda Jo Jones [mailto:jonesbjo@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent:
Tuesday, January 20, 2004 9:59 PM
To: 'ladurgin@xxxxxxx'
Subject: Farriers woes and barefoot

Laurie:

I have a wonderful farrier.  I ride a Paso Fino and do so barefoot.  My farrier does not pare his sole at all, so he is growing a thick sole just like a mustang.  In addition, he puts on a product called HoofArmor.  It is an abrasive resistant, flexible coating.  Generally we apply it at each trim.  I love it and so does Electrico (my Paso).  We can travel over most terrain without any ouchies and Electrico can feel his feet!  I liken it to wearing hard soled shoes or moccasins.  With the hard soled shoe I cannot feel anything…with shoes on a horse’s foot is really numb as most of the circulation to the foot is cut off.  The horse’s foot cannot expand and contract as it normally would.  With the moccasin on, my foot is protected but I can feel the surface that I am treading over.  Ever notice how a horse will choose the softer terrain if given the choice?

Hope that you don’t feel like I am lecturing, but I can certainly understand how frustrated you must feel.

If you would like to learn more about HoofArmor my farrier’s website is Hoofarmor.com.

Additionally, please feel free to pen me with any questions you might have.

Happy trials…

Brenda Jo