[RC] K Stallion/colors/Hidalgo - beth glover

Hey Susan, you crack me up! Me a movie critic It just shows I watch too many movies and read too many books. I am a devoted Walter Farley fan since childhood, and was of course, watching this movie to see if they stayed true to the story. And you'll remember, if you were a Walter Farley fan, that in the "Black Stallion Returns", that his dam was indeed a chestnut. Other than that the story line was on track. wouldn't it be cool if they made the movie of "The Black Stallion and Satan?" oooh what a bad colt that was.   That cracked me up that you guys noticed shoes. I was looking for shoes and "nuts". I had to know if he really was a filly. No. He was not a filly. No I never saw the shoes, just the nuts. ha ha  I also enjoyed the tack, the costumes with all those tassles and stuff. Yeah, what period was that, first the girl has her face all covered , then its uncovered, then covered, then of course you have to throw off your long scarf in mid-race in order to get down to bus iness.  I liked those horses biting each other too, and I started laughing when one of the riders said to the villain on his biting chestnut, "Hey this is a horse race, not a fight!" Kind of reminded me of a few rides I've been on with some nervous kicking and grumping going on at the start. I had to explain to family why I found that line amusing. No I don't find that amusing at real rides in real life.

Oh Thanks Heidi for the equine color genetics piece. You know if you ask black breeders what happens if you breed their black to your grey, they kind of hem and haw. I never did figure out what happens if you breed the Homozygous grey to the Homozygous Black. I take it, it would be black? Battle of the titan genes? Toss of the dice? See I've never got a really straight answer to that one.

Just the other day, I picked up a magazine at work laying around. I think it was Horse and Rider. It had a big article about Hildalgo, and how they filmed it featuring five paint horses beating the pants off of all those distance Arabs. It was kind of written from a Quarter horse/paint point of view, and it made me cringe, especially since I took some Arab bashing at work, earlier in the day. They were really glorifying the movie, and discussing it as fact.  It makes me cringe because kids and newbies read this stuff and believe in their hearts that it's true, and I hate to see people do more breed bashing. Sigh.

On a more cheerful note, anyone see, "The last Samurai"?  Great Marshall Arts! Great riding too! That Tom Cruise, I saw a documentary about how they filmed the movie, and he really was into his horse. I think his horse was called "Elmer".  Those were cool horses running into all that commotion of the battlefield. Some of them were specially trained to fall. Wonder how they discover that particular talent?

Have a good day, Beth Glover

Scope out the new MSN Plus Internet Software ? optimizes dial-up to the max! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=