RE: [RC] Black Stallion Imax color - ranch

1. Grey is inherited separate from coat color.  That is horses are all born
some color ie black, chestnut, bay and then turn grey.  Grey is dominant
therefore a mare that has turned grey can be carrying only one copy of the grey
gene.  If mated to a non grey stallion half of her foals will tuirn grey and
half will not.
2. There is also the very common Bay gene in horses.  A horse can carry the
black gene which is modified by the bay gene to produce a bay colored horses.

If the grey mare were born either black or bay (but getting only one copy of
the bay modifier gene) and mated with either a black or bay (also with one copy
of the bay modifier gene) she could produce a black foal.

This is confusing to a great many horse owners.  I have seen advertisements for
stallions saying "He produces over 80% black foals..."   If a black stallion
ever produces even one foal from a chestnut (or a grey mare that was born
chestnut before she turned grey) the stallion has only one copy of the black
gene.  If bred him to enough chestnut mares he would produce 50% black and 50%
chestnut. foals.

Horses do not usually produce the several hundred offspring to make it very
unlikely that they will produce close to the theoretical percentages.

Ed

PS,. Yes I know that there are some complicated  things that go on when talking
horse coat color especially when spots, some paint color patterns, and dun
(palimono, buckskin, dun etc.) is concerned.  But I think that I am essentually
right above about blacks, greys and bays.

Ed and Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx