Re: [RC] First Refusal document??anyone - Vicki Austin

HI Laurie,    I have "given away" /  "free leased"
many horses in the past.  I always make up my own
document, make two copies, all parties sign all of
them  give one to the leasee, keep on and give the
third to an impartial party to have as a "legal"
backup. Each situation is differant.  With some I
wanted to  make sure the horse got his special
suppliments for a condition (such as thyroid problems)
and made sure the people were aware and able to do so.
With some I would request that the horse not be used
for a specific dicipline (such as jumping).  With some
I wanted to make sure they were blanketed properly,
fed hot mashes, and let them go  in and out at their
choosing.   With all my horses there have been
conditions that each person who took them HAD to agree
on in writing. There is always a "take back" or "buy
back" clause in these agreements (with also a warning
that if I see them not taken care of I will bring the
trailer and take them back).   And I check on them
often for the first few years until I am sure they are
taken care of the way I think they should be taken
care of, then check or call  only maybe twice a year.

Only twice I have had to take a horse back. (once when
I saw one had the same shoes on that they left with
six months earlier(and it was winter and icy and she
didn't dare move with the summer shoes on) , she had
her blankets on but she was a bag of bones underneith
(she was a pony and usually overweight) no water (only
frozen buckets) and hay in the run in where she could
not make it because of the ice patch in front of it.
The first thing I did was bring warm water to her from
my house when I went back to get my trailer.  She
drank a whole pail of it.  It was 9 in the morning so
you knew she hadn't had any recently, and certainly
not that morning. Then I had a full hay bag in the
trailer and she just ran in the trailer dragging me
with her.  Then when I got home I called the person at
work and let them know I had her back. They were
actually relieved!!!      The other time I found out
the horse was going to be sold, I called the person
they were selling to and picked up the horse made an
agreement with the person who wanted the horse (free
of course) and horse and person lived happily ever
after.

Hope this helps.

--- Laurie Durgin <ladurgin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
   Does anyone know where I can get a document for I
think it is a "First
Refusal"/or Buy back agreement.? Two people have
already contacted me this
week about my daughters horse Champ. We may or may
not exchange money for
him ,as a good home is what I want most.But my
daughter would like something
that says, before they can give him away or sell him
they have to contact us
first. Or would a "Free lease" agareement form work
better? Basciallly we'd
like to make sure he doesn't get dumped someday ,
starved or at an auction .
I know peoples circumstances change, but i'd rather
take him back  and look
again than just let him 'disapear".
    Laurie (gosh this is hard, and I may be dumb for
not trying to sell him,
but I am hoping this way I can choose a good home
for him. . . )