Re: [RC] Triple Crown - Dbeverly4

In a message dated 9/25/2004 12:01:17 PM Pacific Standard Time, OTTOWY@xxxxxxx writes:

Also another thought is that 100's in my opinion are being phased out because they are too much work and take too long.  Maybe if there was an ultimate prize for 100's we would see more come back!

I can't imagine that any "ultimate prize" would incent people to ride 100 miles.  Maybe this is the shift that has occurred in endurance riding....people ride for awards (?).  To me, simply riding 100 miles is a huge gift/prize/accomplishment.  I'm sincerely hoping that I have a 100 mile horse again (working on building him now).  If he isn't a 100 miler, I have to admit I'll probably do what he's capable of rather than try to fit him into the mold. But if he's a 100 miler, he and I will be our own reward for doing the distance.  To me riding 100 miles in 24 hours is just awesome and a big accomplishment.  I don't care if I get a buckle (well the Tevis buckle is pretty cool :) or a t-shirt...I just want to ride it.  In my opinion, if you don't have that basic drive, you  won't do 100s.

Sylvia