Re: [RC] 'pound dog' mentality for horses? - Bette Lamore

So pay the $1200 and get the papers! At the risk of flames I'm going to respond to this from a breeder's point of view. Although it usually costs me $3000 to raise a horse until the age of 5 (that is $600 in feed per year in CA with NO illness, injuries etc that would require vet care and that is also excluding my time in raising the horse, my emotion in loving the horse and any expenses involved in breeding the horse), I have frequently met a little girl (or big one) who wants a horse, has the means to feed him/her and lots of love to give him/her--- yet NO money to buy him/her. She only wants a pal, a companion, a riding buddy. Sooo my heart softens and I agree to sell her (give would closer approximate the truth) the horse for $300 or perhaps $500 which is what she can afford . She does NOT intend to resell or show (Shows alone can cost at least $1,000-2,000/show and up!!--- case in point, if she has the money to show, she has the money to pay me what the horse is worth which in my offspring is far more than the cost of feeding them (so, I am biased ;-) )
Sooo I sell without papers. Now if she wants to resell and make a lot of money off the resale, we have to agree on what would be fair. Also, if she comes into a bunch of money and suddenly wants to show, we have to decide on what would be a fair value for that privilege as I have taken a sizable discount due to the fact that she could not afford more and that showing was originally not her intent--- UNLESS, she was playing on my good intentions and all along wanted to buy cheap so she could sell at what the horse was really worth---- fiction??? Ask any breeder-- it happens and some are good at it-- con games. And... if it is a genuine twist of good fortune that the buyer suddenly comes into money, then if they are honest, they will not mind paying additional for the horse to be able to show or sell. They went into the deal knowing the price was REDUCED because of the lack of papers--- this is very up front. One client bred his mare to my stallion Halynov and later refused to pay me for the breeding. Sooo, of course I would not sign off on the papers (BTW his mares also chewed up my paddocks and he never paid board nor damages either when he took his mares home-- but I trusted that he would in the future as promised).
Sooo I get a call a few years later from a very well known champion in endurance--- would I sign off the papers on this filly. OF course I will because this particular person can take the filly to greatness--- and this slime-back client got away with stiffing me because I did not want to hang this other new owner up.
An unusual case? --- you'd be surprised. I used to joke about how I left the field of workers comp with the attorneys screwing each other for money to go into a field where my horses screwed each other for pleasure--- but I quickly learned where the term "Horse Trader" came from. There are a lot of people willing and ready to take advantage of you in the horse market from the horse buyer to the horse trainer to even some of my peers, the horse breeder. That's why I prefer to hang out with the horse most times!
Bette

heidi wrote:

And my personal pet peeve is an owner who has a price for a horse with papers and a price for the same horse without his/her papers. Seems to me the papers belong to the horse, not the owner. My latest horse (a rescue) was $300 but $1200 more if I wanted his papers. Should be rules against that IMO. Or at least a way to go around the seller and get his papers, he's even been DNA'd. As this guy seems to be very well bred (Asilkontiki if anyone would like to give me some percentages) and still a stallion, it would be nice to keep his papers with him, even if he becomes a gelding, which is highly likely as I'm no breeder!!! (I did get on him for the first time yest., he's 18 and unbroke!)
heidi larson

GoldenCMK@xxxxxxx wrote:

    In a message dated 9/4/2004 11:54:24 AM Central Standard Time,