Re: [RC] Arabs vs. Mustangs - heidi

Please Reply to: Mustenogirl mustenogirl89@xxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ========================================Whats up
with all the arabs? I mean isn't there some other horse you people ride
in an endurance race? Like a mustang? Don't get me wrong, Arabs are
hardy little horses, but don't you think Mustangs would be more suited
for the races, sence they are use to all the weather conditions and the
different terriens? I would think they'd be a whole lot better for this
type of race.

Arabs have predominated in the sport most likely because they were
selectively bred to do exactly this sort of thing for their Bedouin owners
for centuries.  That is not to say that there aren't other horses suited
to the sport as well--including mustangs.  Many mustangs actually carry
the blood of TBs and Arabs that were used as Remount stallions.  The
suitability of any particular mustang depends largely on what his ancestry
is--ie what his genes make of him--his conformation, disposition, and
hence his suitability as a riding horse.

As for being used to all weather conditions and different terrain--gosh,
our Arabs are outside 24/7, winter and summer alike, and live "out" in the
rocks, gullies, and hills as well.  Additionally, horses that are raised
in captivity are more apt have a history of proper nutrition, etc. which
is helpful in their development, whereas horses that grow up under feral
conditions are at nature's mercy.  Again, that's not to say that some
don't develop just fine--but the odds are still better with known entities
raised under known conditions.

That said--if you have a good mustang, come on out and ride!  :-)

Heidi