[RC] Why Arabians? for Mustenogirl - Jonni Jewell

Mustenogirl asked "Whats up with all the arabs? I mean isn't there some
other horse you people ride in an endurance race?"

By your questions,(hopefully you are truly curious, and not just trying to
irritate folks)  I am wondering if you are a young adult (or to some, a
'kid'). You seem to be accusing those who ride Arabians of some wrong doing
by the above questions.   Like those who have chosen an Arabian over other
breeds have committed some sin.  But, I'll humor you, and give you the
reasons why many ride Arabians, and a little about the sport.

Endurance riding has been around about 50 years. It is one of the horse
activities where you can choose ANY breed of horse that you want, and give
it a go. There is no breed discrimination. All are welcome, registered or
unregistered.  The judge is the clock. If your Draft horse, Mustang, or even
as mentioned Zebra, can finish the distance in the required time limit, and
pass all the vet checks, you have an endurance horse. Now, if you want to be
competitive, you and your horse must have the ability to do all the above,
faster than anyone else. You name the breed, and it has been used in
Endurance riding at one time or another. There are many Mustangs in the
sport, and some are very competitive. The two high mileage horses for this
year are not even Arabians. One is a Mustang, the other is an Icelandic
pony. But, maybe you are confused as to why so many ride Arabians. So, here
is a little info for you:

The lighter muscling of an Arabian horse dissipates heat and
lactic acid more readily than other breeds. The larger flaring
nostrils provide the Arabian with maximum oxygen intake, and its
large trachea allows for larger lung capacity. Also, that pretty
arched neck has a function besides looks, in which it carries plenty
of air to the lungs and helps keep the windpipe clear. They have
bigger, stronger hearts for their size, which pumps a higher volume
of blood. That blood runs through the blood vessels which are very
close to the surface than other breeds, covered by thinner skin,
which also aids in cooling the animal when it works. Last, the bone
density is known to be greater in Arabians than other breeds, with
tougher tendons and ligaments. All of these traits were bred for
thousands of years, when the horses were used in their country of
origin, to travel great distances in the harsh conditions. Those that
did not hold up, did not survive.

And why do I ride Arabians? I personally like their temperaments,
disposition, intelligence and personalities. Have owned them for about 20
years now, and don't think we will ever be without them. I may have another
breed in my pasture someday, but there will always be an Arabian with it.

Jonni in TX