Re: [RC] was endurance topics now cause of colic? - Faustina Duffy

Bermuda grass, especially coastal bermuda, has a much finer/softer fiber which unfortunately seems to cause some horses to not chew it as thoroughly as they should-thus it remains a little drier as it passes through the system (Both the act of chewing to mix it with saliva is shortened as well as the perforation of its outer layers which prevents water from soaking into it as quickly are factors here).  This allows it to impact more easily in the hind gut...So, though bermuda is a GREAT forage, it must be watched carefully, as horses who aren't familiar with it may eat too quickly and then colic.  Soaking it before feeding sometimes helps, but the best prevention I know (IMO) is to feed a mixed grass (bermuda/bahaia) hay...
----- Original Message -----
From: Tina Hicks
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2004 10:55 AM
Subject: [RC] was endurance topics now cause of colic?

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, steph teeter wrote:
> All three horses had reflux on arrival to the clinic, all three had
> ileus - basically the gut shut down, little or no activity in the small
> intestines. Their stomachs were full of fluid, but the hind gut was dry.

At BSF I rode for a while with a lady whose horse had had two colics just
like that in the past year. Both times she was riding moderately, not
doing anything different, etc...Horse had about a 1500 miles with her so
not beginners to the sport.

The vets at Auburn told her they see this particular sort of colic
primarily in horses fed Bermuda hay - which is the predominant hay here in
the SE. Apparently Bermuda is harder for horses to digest than other
leafier/stemmier hays and can become impacted more easily in the small
intestine.

Tina
tina@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx