Re: [RC] Mares as Riding Horses - Barbara McCrary

Our problem with mares is their hormone-driven moods and the geldings' reaction to them.  I hate all that squealing.....

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 6:41 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] Mares as Riding Horses

<<They'll go until they drop. A gelding knows how to protect himself better. It's harder to get him to give everything." >>

I know this will probably catch some flack, but I WANT an endurance horse who will tell me when he's had enough.  I do NOT want to ride a horse who will "go until they drop".  I'm sure that's not true of all mares (the going till they drop thing), but thinking that's a "good" thing is a scary thought to me personally.

Sylvia (probably biased, I own 4 geldings :)