[RC] Mares-safety? -- Laurie Underwood - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Laurie A. Underwood laurieunderwood@xxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

What kicking thing?  I'm certainly no expert, but I believe that you don't
allow them to kick and teach them proper manners, then they won't kick while
they are in the presence of humans.  What they do in the pasture is another
matter, but my observation has been that geldings and mares do an equal share
of it when left to their own devices.

At the barn where I board my mare, the mares and geldings are separated into
different pastures.  The geldings do their share of mixing it up, both in play
and in establishing/maintaining herd hierarchy.

One of the things I love most about my mare is that she doesn't hesitate to
communicate to me when she needs to slow down or discontinue a ride.  She is
tough, but not too driven, which I appreciate since earlier in my riding
career, I would not necessarily have picked up on the subtle signs a horse
might give you.  One thing I have learned is to trust my mare regarding
terrain.  She is very calm and level headed, and she rarely refuses to go down
the trail or over/through obstacles.  But if we come to a spot with
questionable footing and she refuses it, I trust her.  I've seen other horses
sink in spots she refused to go.  I don't have much experience with geldings,
but I gotta say -- I LOVE my mare!

Laurie Underwood