[RC] 100's are do-able! (Part 1) - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Karen Gardella billnkaren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

After completing my 2nd 100 on the Virginia City 100, I can say that 100's
aren't as bad as alot of people think.  I, also, believe that many more horses
(and people) are capable of completing 100's than alot of people think!!
One horse, in particular, comes to mind, and that is the gelding of my friend
Teru Langsdale, Tuurific.  Shortly after Teru first acquired her gelding, he
was in a freak accident in his pen at home and fractured one of his legs.  The
vet told Teru that she thought it would be best to put the horse down, but Teru
persisted and had the vet show her how to treat the horse, but the vet was very
sceptical and told her that even if Tuurific did heal, that he would probably
never be a sound riding horse. I am so glad that Teru persevered to save her
horse, because he is now a sound, happy endurance horse!!
Tuurific is also by sight, a very unlikely endurance candidate.  He is a
hardkeeper, and very angular, his croup is extremely steep, with the point of
his croup looking like a "coatrack".  (I'm sorry, Teru, but I'm only being
honest!)  She has had more than just one endurance vet laugh at her horse, and
tell her that he did look like an unlikely endurance candidate.
Teru has proven with perseverance and proper conditioning and training, that
just about any horse can make it through a hundred.  Teru just picked a
conservative steady pace, and finished the ride just after 4:00 AM.  Both her
and her horse looked great after the ride!!!
Congratulations, Teru and to your "underdog" horse, Tuurific!!  (They are
working to complete their 1000 miles by the end of this season, which I'm sure
they will accomplish and probably exceed!!)
Congratulations, also, to John Mayeroff who accompanied with Teru on the VC
100, completing his 2nd 100 and 2nd V.C. 100 on Alad's Mystiqure!!  (John is in
his 70's and may have been the oldest rider completing the ride!!)  John is
still going strong and I hope to see him on the trail for many more years to
come!!