[RC] Splat - Becky Rohwer

Not all obstacles that grab you and flip you off your horse come from above.
  I did a ride a couple weeks ago and found myself on the ground looking up.
I was trotting along nicely on a pretty, but somewhat technical trail
through a beautiful wooded area.  This was at the NW Labor Day ride in
Washington.  It has been rainy in the NW so there were puddles here and
there.  As I was trotting along I noticed two things ahead of me.  One was a
small puddle on the trail, the other was a good sized branch about 3 inches
in diameter that was probably about 4 1/2 feet above the ground that was
pointing out toward the trail.  It looked like someone had cut the end off.
It probably was across the trail and had been cut back for clearance.  The
puddle and branch were pretty much right together.  Since you never know
what your horse is going to do at a puddle, I slowed mare up just a touch,
which may have been a mistake.  She did a nifty little two step over the
puddle, at the same time the branch caught my right leg.  The branch had
no
give to it, so my leg was flipped back launching me over mare's left
shoulder.  I grabbed her neck as I was sailing over, kind of did a flip in
the air and landed on my butt looking up at mare's face.  Of course she had
that what are you doing down there look about her.  I won't tell you what I
was saying as I was flipping through the air, but it was definitely a SPLAT
incident.

Becky R. - Montana