From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ridecamp Guest
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2004 8:31 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Heating Small Spaces

Please Reply to: Linda Klingerman Elite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx ==========================================

I was always afraid of the propane heaters so I rigged up another
"system" for warmth.
We used a Prestone Jump It, it is a portable battery pack that you
recharge from a wall outlet.  It has a cigarette lighter outlet on the
side.   Into that I plug an inverter and into that I plugged the
electric blanket!   You have to make sure that you have a large enough
inverter, doesn't have to be one of the super large ones though.  If
it's to small the switch will keep kicking off.  This setup will get the
bed warm and if you keep it on low, will have enough juice till morning.
I have also used it to run a fan in the trailer in the heat of the
summer.
If I see an outlet at a nearby bath house or ranger office, I plug the
pack in to recharge for the next night.  There are also adapters to
charge from your vehicle cig. lighter to the pack.  That way it is
recharging on the way home in case I have to use it to jump start the
truck.   You can also buy water heaters, hot plates, etc to plug in.  I
haven't tried them, but saw them at the truck stops.   But the Jump It
is great to have with you anytime because of a possible dead battery.

Linda