Re: [RC] elevator rides..why they went away - Jonni Jewell

That said, the LD-to-50 elevators often DO start the LDs an hour
later--and the prospective elevating rider simply has to "eat" the time
difference.  <<<

Not so...........From the AERC rule book:
1.2.3 A rider who elevates is eligible for completion only
1.2.4 If the starting times are not the same, elevating riders must have the
same time limits of Rule 5 applied to their original rides starting time.

That being, as we all know, 12 hours for a 50 mile, 24 hours for a 100 etc.
So, back to my original thought process on elevator rides possibly being
bothersome for some ride management, that would mean, you would have to
staff all the vet checks, finish line etc. that extended time, to allow for
the elevated riders to get through them, as their start time was later, but
they still have the same amount of time they are to finish in.

Truman commented: "That being said if 11 hours is not enought, I doubt the
horse is ready for a 50".  I dunno, some folks like to ride all day, go
slow, and use all the time allowed. And a person elevating, would be very
likely to do just that.  Now, in some regions, where the rides are flat and
faster than some areas, this may not happen as much as most riders do indeed
finish well before the cut off times. But rides out west, in the mountains,
often the riders are using their full time allowed to finish. They are given
12 hours to finish the ride, and management must allow for that in staffing
their positions at ALL rides. You never know when a rider will decide to
just walk the rest of the way in, as they know they have until the cut off
time to finish.

Jonni