[RC] Peeing in the Trailer - Dbeverly4

In a message dated 9/17/2004 3:51:36 PM Pacific Standard Time, heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Guess that's one place where we'll have to agree to disagree.  I want mine
to ALWAYS feel free to pee ANYWHERE, ANYTIME, including in the trailer.  I
know you've talked about training yours not to before, and I always cringe
when I read it.  Any time I hear one of mine going in the trailer, I
always tell them they are good horses...  Different philosophy...

I'm wondering if anybody else has had this happen.....my horses pee when they SEE me hook up the trailer or pull it around to the pasture...is that weird or what?  I think what's happened is my horse, Harca, taught them all to do it (he's the first horse I've ever owned who consistently did that).  Its pretty hysterical though because I have 4 and they all pee when they see the trailer even the 2 year old who has yet to go on any long jaunts (I guess he learned from the big boys).  It reminds me of when my boys (human boys that is) were little and we'd be starting out on a long car trip.  "Ok, everybody use the bathroom before you get in the car!".

On the trailering thing, I like to let my horses out every 4 hours or so.  BUT when I recently hauled a horse through downtown LA DURING rush hour (what was I thinking??) I didn't get him out at all during the 6 hour trip.  He's just a pup with very little trailer experience and he just went ahead and peed in the trailer.  I was very pleased with him because he also ate and drank while in the trailer (even with the giant semi trucks and crazy Porsche drivers on I-5 during rush hour).

Sylvia