Re: [RC] Opinions please re I.M. Adequan vs I.M. Legend - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Kathy Myers magnumsmom@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ray,

If money is no object and you really want to do the best
you can for Chico, I'd do a 3 week IV series of Legend
(used to be about $100 / shot + vet call) and then start
IM Adequan the week after and continue once a month.  You
can still buy a box of 4 Adequan IM for about $180 through
the catalogs, but you have to have a perscription from
your vet.  After the loading dose, 4 vials of 5ml Adequan
would last you 4 months.

Maintenance dose of IM Adequan (Glucosamine) vs IM Legend
(Hyaluronic Acid) is a wash to me.  In general they are
different versions of the same basic stuff... joint supps.
(not technically, Generally).  It's a wash to me which you
want to use.  Maybe try one and then switch the next box,
if the price is comparable.

If money is an object, start with 4 IM injections of
Adequan or Legend, 1 per week for a month, and then give
once a month after that.

You can give the Adequan IM yourself.  I don't do IV
injections myself... too scary for me.

If you really want to throw everything at him, start him
on oral joint supplements that have both Condroitin Sulfate
and Glucosamine.  Since you are doing field trials, also
give him MSM.  You surely can use one with a bit of yucca
in it to help with any inflamation.  Since you are doing a
maintenance dose of the orals.  Your kick start are the
once a week injections.

This would do him a ton more good than 2 bute.  :)

I can't get to my email from here, but please feel free to
email me directly as well:  magnumsmom at aol dot com

:) - Kathy Myers
in Santa Fe, NM
ps... you can buy "dog" adequan injections which are 1 ml
For $60!!!  Geez.  Get the horse Adequan instead and just
give 1 ml / month to your dog.  Same stuff... Same thing
with the "doggie size" next level.  Heck, my buddy with 3
old labs just buys a horse gallon.  Tons cheaper.