Re: [RC] horse transport - Mary Ann Spencer - heidi

Heidi, when you say you haul in an "open format", do you mean loose and
with the center divider (if you have one) tied open?

I haul one horse loose, but have always been unwilling to haul more than
one loose (even with two separated by the center divider - open stock
trailer) because I was concerned about weight shifts that might
destabilize the trailer.

Could you explain more about your method?

I do usually tie my horses, but I don't use dividers except as explained
in the following.  The tying prevents any really HUGE shifts.

I have two trailers--my LQ trailer does not have ANY sort of divider built
in, although we have made two removable ones that make it into a sort of a
slant-load when they are in place.  I rarely use them--only if we are
hauling stallions, or other horses that just flat don't get along.  It
only has room for three horses max, unless they are younguns without the
dividers, and then I can haul four.

Our second trailer is a HUGE stock trailer that will haul ten head--it
does have a divider, and will haul six in front of it and four behind it.
I do close that divider--but then the "boxes" are so huge that they are
still in an "open format."  I really like that trailer for "mixed"
groups--am planning a trip soon where I have to haul a few mares and a
strange-to-me stallion.  I can put the mares up front and close the
divider, and haul the stallion by himself in the back.

Heidi