--- Eric Drew
--- eidrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
---

[RC] Training for my first LD, getiing close - Eric Drew

What a great day

I had planned on going 10-12 miles at a hard pace....oops we ended up riding 18 miles, guess we were having too much fun.  We had never been over 14 before as I've only had him 6 months and he is just now coming into shape.   We climbed and descended over 3500 feet in 80-90 degree heat including climbing to the top of the two ridges on either side of Stevens Canyon ( Santa Cruz Mts CA) [Black Mt and Longridge Trail for you locals]. . Porter was just awesome riding solo today, He was totally calm and focused the entire ride [usually he has some herd separation anxiety at one point or another].

Every muscle in my legs, Butt, and Back is tired...my horse Porter on the other hand still had a bit of go left in him.

I'm kicking myself for not bringing the camera, from Black Mt you could see Mt Tam north of SF, East of Mt Diablo [east bay], all of the San Jose area, south to Fremont Peak near Hollister and looking west I could see the ocean [50 miles in any direction]

Total Ride time including 4 water stops, two stops to sponge Porter down and a food break for both of us was under 5 hours. The trails are steep and rocky  with a mix of single track and some fire road  [60/40] with five climbs of 2+ miles in length.  I could have gotten it down to near 4 hours if I had hand trotted him down a couple of mile + steep descents instead of just walking down but at 48 walking was easier on me LOL

6 weeks to my first LD !!

Tired Grins