[RC] Question about Kimberwick, Mylar, and Tom Thumb bits - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: debbie ekhaml enduroarabians@xxxxxxxxx or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I decided to delve into the minds of the all knowing Ridecampers for this one.
I have a 4 1/2 year old that has finally just gotten broken and on his way
toward an endurance future (I hope!)  I started him on a Mylar, D ring, 3 piece
snaffle with a copper roller in the center section.  He went through some usual
baby attitude stuff like "rooting" and trying to get away from the bit when
made to do something he didn't want to.  He has a very light mouth and does
"give to the bit" quite well now in addition to short sliding stops, laterals,
spins etc.  We tried a copper covered Tom Thumb and he really responded better
and you could just use your pinkies to work him.  We did this because he
spooked twice and tried to bolt and just didn't feel like we had control with
the Mylar, but he didn't try that at all with the Tom Thumb.  We also tried a
Kimberwick with a straight bar and of course he worked very well on that too.
I would prefer to not have to use a "shanked" bit (Tom Thumb) as if a water
stop is only 5 gallon buckets, it is easier for him to drink without hitting
the shank on the bucket lip.  Not having an english background, does anyone
know the purpose of the chain on the kimberwick?  Even tightened all the way,
it makes no contact so what is it for? How is the Kimberwick pictured in the
latest issue of Endurance news being carried by the lady that won the Old
Dominion 50 different than my Mylar?  I feel dumb after 27 years of owning
horses and not knowing this!  I want to be able to use a gentle bit, but feel
like I have some control if I need it. My riding style is a loose rein and I
don't like to be on their mouth. At this point, he has only done the bolt thing
at the beginning of his training and has now seemed to worked through
controlling his fear.  He is not a spooky horse and has a more laid back
attitude than anything.  The lady that has been training him feels I could ride
him in the Mylar without a problem, but I was curious about the Kimberwick.
Thanks for any input.
P>S> anyone in the San Diego area that wants a fabulous trainer, she's the one.
She is the most gifted horsewoman I've ever seen and quite reasonable (and
very humble).  I trailered my horse from Colorado specifically to have her
train him (I live less than an hour from Parelli and a few hours from Lyons).
She puts them all to shame!!!