[RC] Things I learned at Shut Up and Ride - Laura Hayes

Here goes again--yes, I know, I am really fortunate to ride so much, and so many places.  Last week, Utah, this week, NY.

Things I learned at Shut Up and Ride in NY:

1.  Slow and steady may not win the race, but a horse that still looks good - finish or not, is a darn good feeling.
2.  Mud Sucks.
3. Patti Stedman gives the most amusing ride meeting ever.
4.  Little girls who hold hands across the finish line are really cute - makes you want one (my husband thumped me for saying that...)
5.  My horse's well being is WAY more important to me than my name in EN...I pulled her after the first day as the mud and elevation changes were subtly taking their toll.
6.  Mountain Horse Out Moist tights are the toughest tights I have ever used.  Three pairs have been through 23 fifty mile rides this year, including a nasty open wound from a tree on my knee from Bryce, and they show no wear or holes.  (got them on ebay for under $30.)
7.  My friend Libby Llop is the toughest woman I know, finishing 50 miles just a couple months after breaking her back and having surgery.  You go girl!
8.  Mud REALLY Sucks.
9. South western New York is a really beautiful place.  The trees, the mountains, the creeks (overflowing...) the wildlife...You should try it.
10.  Allegany Shut Up and Ride is a super well run ride.  Thanks Patti and Rich.

ever learning...Laura Hayes AERC#2741