[RC] A trailer improvement for safety - Ed & Wendy Hauser

After the horse trailer was rear ended near my place, I started to think
about the rear lights on my trailers.  I was impressed with the LED lights
that a friend put on his new semi tractor.  I started to look around and
found a couple of sights on the web that sell LED lights.  The lights I used
are DOT approved and seem brighter than normal tail lights.  They appear to
be better for blinking lights because they come on instantly in comparison
to normal turn signals.  This makes the blinking light more noticeable to
other drivers.

I also noticed that newer trailers have a second set of stop/tail lights
high on the back.  That made a lot of sense to me.  You are doubling the
number of lights, and they will shine over the top of some vehicles stopped
behind you.

I just added two more lights to each of my trailers and replaced the OEM
with LED's.

The two websites are:
Vehiclelight.com
   This sight has all of the standard trailer lights in LED, plus they have
surface mounted units.  I used these to add the lights because it was easier
to drill a 1/2" hole than to make a big oblong hole.  They also sell various
brackets to hold lights.

superbrightleds.com
   This sight has all of the standard lights.  In addition they sell
various bulbs using LEDs.  While they are not as bright as incandescent
lamps, they use much less power.  I have replaced my incandescent lamps in
my living quarters to conserve battery power during long camping trips.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875