[RC] Patriot's Ride - September 11, 2004 - Dana B.

This past weekend I attended a first time ride with a first time rider.  It might have been a bit risky, as my companion was pretty sure neither she nor her horse could do a 25 mile ride.  But I knew she and her horse were more than capable, and I had my 'spies' who foretold of lovely trails and an awesome camp, so I bundled her up and off we went.
The Patriot's Ride was held in some of the most beautiful country in Northern California.  RM Kassandra Dimaggio and ride management, the Greenville Rotary Club and host Coppercreek Camp did an amazing job.  The facility was wonderful: plenty of space, corrals and arenas, wonderful meals, and are you sitting down:  real showers!!!!

The ride map was a thing of sheer beauty.  The trails were so well marked with easy-to-spot red, white and blue ribbons that you would barely lose sight of one ribbon when the next would be there catching your eye.  There was abundant water on the trail for the horses and Power Bars and water for the riders, as well as apples for both.

My riding companion was a first time rider who is approaching her upcoming 60th birthday.  She had an absolutely marvelous time, and now feels like she can do anything in the world.  Even a 25 mile ride :-)  And we did the perfect first time ride:  her horse was great, and he pulsed down to complete in exactly 6 hours  (ok, I was a bit worried that last half hour on the trail, gulp)  We did a nice, slow ride and enjoyed it immensely, and the horses looked marvelous afterwards:  A's everywhere!

All of the volunteers were wonderful and extremely helpful, and our gracious hosts opened their lovely facility up to us and welcomed us all warmly.  I had the privilege of speaking with them several times, and all I can say is that the children blessed to attend their camp must be some of the luckiest children in the world.  If you know anyone looking for a place to send their child for summer camp, check out www.coppercreek.com.  Children come there from all over the world....

The 25 mile ride, which was the last loop of the 50, was single-track and nice wide logging roads, all through lovely forests.  I heard the first loop of the 50 had breath-taking views and some pretty good challenges, but you'll have to get someone else to describe those.  I have to say that the 25 was a perfect first ride for a first time rider.

What a wonderful way to spend the anniversary of a day that forever changed me and my country.  The meaning of that day was remembered by all who attended, as the events of that day were spoken of frequently and the ride proceeds benefit the Freedom Alliance Scholarship Fund for the dependents of our service men and women in active duty.  It was very sobering to think of them and what they have done and are doing to protect this wonderful country, and to enable us to ride some of the most beautiful trails in the world.  It was a most fitting way to remember their sacrifices and the need to be ever vigilant, to my mind.

God bless them, and God bless the dedicated folks who put together such a wonderful ride.  Well done!

Dana Baldwin

ddbpaso@xxxxxxxxx