[RC] Feeding Colt - RHightshoe

While we are on the subject of getting this colt off to a good start, what is the preferred time to have him gelded?   I've read anywhere from 3 weeks to 2 yrs.  My colt was born in March of 2004.  He hasn't dropped yet but I don't know if that makes a difference.  The person I bought him from waits until they are two year olds.  Fall is approaching and the flies will be less of a problem if doing him before he drops is feasible.  I've heard stories about thick necks from waiting too long or some other problem from doing them too early.  I would appreciate your thoughts and experience.  Thanks Bob