Re: [RC] Helicopter news - Ag47xAu49

In a message dated 9/12/2004 8:37:54 PM Mountain Daylight Time, cstiles@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
While up at Tevis I asked the Calstar rep. how they justify their $10,500 fee, which I just paid for my life-flight in June, because quite frankly, even though you are paying for the nurses, pilot and chopper upkeep, that's still monetarily equivalent to a few flights to Hawaii for a large family. I was told that the actual cost of operation was only about $1500 per flight ,but because they have a 40% non-collection rate they have to charge the insurance's that "do" pay $10,500, to make up for all the private people who  don't pay because they don't have health insurance.
Carol
Plus, my dearest buddy Carol, your ride entailed a bit more than some do, I expect. When they won't haul your buns out of the mountains via regular ambulance because you won't make it to the hospital alive, the heli ride was well worth the $10,500 fee. I want to see you around a bit longer. Love, Beccy