Re: [RC] epiphysitis - heidi

Heidi,

What is this?  I have a mare with a 4 month old by her side.  The mare
is  really losing weight but the baby looks great.  What should I do?  I
don't want  to wean the baby.

The main reasons for mares losing weight when nursing are bad teeth and
inadequate or poor quality forage.  I know this sounds crazy to some, but
I've actually taken thin nursing mares that were on high grain rations and
have taken them clear OFF grain and put them on free choice GOOD quality
hay, and have had them gain weight, even while still nursing.

I DO think there is some degree of breed difference with regard to being
able to maintain during lactation, but I also think that this is another
one of those situations that happens when the mare herself is not raised
with sufficient forage and never fully develops her OWN hindgut!  Can't
say whether that is the case with this mare or not, but mares who come
from high-concentrate management do have a MUCH more difficult time
maintaining weight during lactation, in my experience.

I'd definitely suggest checking this mare's teeth, as others have
mentioned.  But I'd also agree with the other posters who have suggested
that it is just fine to wean the foal at this point--particularly if you
have other horses that will "mentor" the foal.  At this stage, the main
thing that mama is providing is socialization--the foal is perfectly
capable of living on a good quality forage diet already.

Heidi