From: Pam & Buddy's email <shgerbey@xxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC]   abscess
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:43:26 -0400

Went out to feed one morning 4 weeks ago and my 17 yo couldn't bear any weight on his LH leg...trembling and in a lot of pain. Turned out it was a major abscess and the farrier opened it up, wrapped for a few days and all seem well. Quit wrapping...kept going lame off and on so I wrapped and poulticed off and on...anyways seemed fine for about 2 weeks and then as I was cleaning out his foot I noticed another hole that appeared about halfway between the frog and the hoof wall. Still not lame again so have just turned him out to pasture...well he is off and walking on his tiptoe on the foot again this morning. Cleaned the hoof really good and hose all the muck out of the holes with the water hose...applied the black stuff(can't spell it)...covered the foot with an animal intex poultice...wrapped with vet wrap and duct tape...put a heavy plastic bag over that and wrapped with some more duct tape.
There is mud everywhere as we live on the NC coast and have had huge amounts of rain for the past month(3 inches in one hour last night).
Any advice at all will be greatly appreciated. Guess I just need to know if I am doing the right thing. Have had vet out when all this started. Didn't want to give antibiotics as she said they can hinder as much as help.
I can stall him but he does not like it. Will walk in place all night and pitch a hissy fit...but will do whatever is best for him.

Thank you,

Pam