[RC] boots, tendons, pasos and barrel racing... - Mel Copeland

Thanks so much for all of the answers and advice for my assorted questions. I feel the need to clarify a bit about the boots. I guess I will just try and sum up my barrel racing stint.

Let me start by saying I live in QH, Paint and "Rackin' horse" country. When I got my first paso there were no paso classes at local fun shows. He did not fit in in racking and we could not trot. I decided to try pole bending and barrel racing because they looked fun and people said that pasos could not do it. One of my acquaintances barrel raced and she helped me work my horse. She recommended that I get the professional's choice boots for my guy since the sharp fast turns called for extra leg support.
Long story short, I did not like the way many of the barrel races treated their horses and some of the horse behavior I saw. I ran barrels with my horse at 3 fun shows just to prove we could do it. After that we went back to trails and parades. I still have the boots and I was just wondering if they would be useful or not. After reading everyone's great advice...they are going on e-bay. I don't need them, my pasos do not interfere and their tendons are very strong. I can say the same for my yearling Arabian colt too (who is fed free choice pasture and 6 lbs of Triple Crown Growth mixed with 2 lbs of Purina Athlete a day). Comments???

And here is a side note:
My arabian mare had a bowed tendon a few years ago. My farrier recommended the following treatment:
Mix Dex with DMSO gel, clean leg with alcohol and apply the mix. Wrap with saran wrap followed by big cotton leg wrap then finish off by wrapping with vet wrap. Wrap the other leg with cotton and vet wrap to avoid stress. Change this twice a day until swelling is gone. Leave the mare out in the pasture the whole time. It took 4 days for the swelling to go away. I continued to wrap both legs with out the mix for a few more days and then took everything off. She has never taken another lame step. I plan to use this same treatment if any future bowed tendons occur. Would you consider this wise??? Comments on this one?????

I love to hear all of the viewpoints...very informative.

Cheers!

Mel

Get ready for school! Find articles, homework help and more in the Back to School Guide! http://special.msn.com/network/04backtoschool.armx