Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] Saddles and more - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Nicole z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mel Copeland wrote:
I would like to ad a bit of detail to that question since I am
thinking about saddle too. I am currently looking into Wintechs I
am not sure about getting a dressage and adding rings to it, or
just getting an endurance. The horse I am planning to ride is
gaited and I hear that the dressage is better suited for the
gaited horse. I have heard that endurance saddles are designed
for standing in the stirrups alot?!?!?!<<

I have been riding and competing in a Wintec dressage.  It's a
very nice saddle for the money, and has worked well for me on
several different Arabians (all fitted with the extra-wide gullet).  However,
on 50s it started putting a white patch on
one shoulder of my mare -- part of it is my own twisted spine so
my unevenness gets worse as the miles wear on, but part of it
is the saddle.  Knowing, however, that every horse and every
rider is different, I would still recommend it as an inexpensive,
hardy, and attractive saddle.  I will still continue to use it
for dressage. :-)

For rings/packs, I added a crupper ring ($10 at any saddle shop),
and I use the SnugPac no-bounce packs which hook to the existing
rings just fine.  I also added a seat cover and endurance stirrups.
I do get a lot of people asking me what kind of saddle it is,
since it doesn't really look like a dressage saddle when it's all
decked out.  But, all I have to do is pull off the endurance
stuff and swap the stirrups and I have a saddle that's still
nice enough to show in (if I wanted to).

I am on a tight budget being a year out of college and still
paying off student debts. So with that in mind I am looking for
something around $900 or less - any suggestions? <<

I can't recommend it yet, since it hasn't arrived yet, but I have
purchased a Barefoot saddle and it was less than $900 even with the
Equipedic pad. :-)  I'm anxiously awaiting it, since I've entered
my next couple rides and want the new saddle!  I've been conditioning
bareback for the last few months and the white patch is gone and
I want to keep it that way.

~Nicole