Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] Saddles and more and more - Mel Copeland

heidi-about the trailer-you guessed right about the center divider. I did not expain it well. Yes, the divider takes the 16' stock trailer and divides it into a front and a back section. I hauled 2 fillies that had minimal handling in a trailer with this setup. I did not tie either horse and placed one in each section. They loaded great and hauled without a complaint. One faced backwards and the other turned kindof backwards and diagonally.

More on saddles...
Currently I have a Simco endurance with the western seat and cordura fenders. It looks a bit beat up but is fairly comfy to me and fits my old gal well. I bought an english style endurance off e-bay cause it looked comfy and I thought it would fit my horse. The saddle is very comfortable to me, but it turned out to be too wide for my mare in that it sits right down on her withers. I think that it might fit better if I could get my mare to put some weight on her topline. She was underweight when I got her and I have managed to get her back up to par everywhere but the topline. I am planning to have someone come out and evaluate my horses and saddles and see what they say. I think I may go ahead and part with the english one. It is called an enduro and is made by all star or five star saddlery. Anyone heard of them?

Girths and breast collars-I have a neoprene girth-good or bad? What is the best type of breast collar to get for a western seat endurance saddle? I am planning to use a jaquima for headgear. The mare works fine with it and it frees her up for easier grazing a drinking. Oh, and boots (for horses) -I have some neoprene running boots that I used to use when I was proving that pasos could barrel race...would these be good to use on a LD ride?

Do I have to buy those tights that everyone wears??? I have some degree of thunder thighs and am not in a big hurry to show them off in a set of riding tights!

I figure that since I am just trying to learn the ropes, I will use my Simco for the time being. My horse is old and I am a newbie. We aren't planning to do anything more than LD. When my filly comes of age, then I will set my sights higher. And then when my colt gets old enough, my sights will go even higher :-)

OK-the ramble is finished for the moment.

Cheers!

Mel