[RC] First ride at Whirling Windmill part 1 - Suzi Maiorisi

Holly and I sneaked off without telling many what we were up to this weekend to do the Whirling Windmill ride.  It has been my goal for a year now to go and it was time...period.  Camped in the back of the trailer in some pretty good heat and so much humidity I could barely undress for bed, drove through millions of breeding Love Bugs that you had to stop and wash the windshield every 40 miles or so to be able to see out, and woke up to a dense fog for ride day Sunday.  We did a fairly conservative first loop and didn?t get back quite as fast as I had hoped, but being blonde <G> I forgot my watch...actually forgot to finish dressing for the first loop til I looked down to see I was only in my tank top and had to run back up to the trailer to finish dressing...at which time I also noticed I had left my pants (yep, wore jeans!) rolled up to keep them out of the water and they were still up to my knees!  We exited a few minutes late to avoid the rush knowing that Holly can get a little excited at the start.  She took off relaxed and having a good time.  Got to a section where those in the back are going beside a fence line with other horses ahead going the opposite direction on the other side of the fence.  Holly kept telling me I'd lost it, we're supposed to go the OTHER way, but no, we're going THIS way, Holly...when we got to the gate and turned she knew exactly where she was supposed to be heading and took off like a bullet giving a little buck when I tried to rein her in a bit.  I finally got her settled into a good trot and we went on down the trail.  Really beautiful riding in the fog like that and pretty relaxing, too.

Got to a creek and I tried out my sponge technique...and flunked sponging 101.  About the time I dropped the reins to pull it up 4 riders came walking up behind her and Holly opts for heading up a sandy embankment covered in brush...I'm off of there as soon as I can manage it and she finally gets out of it while the other riders stand and wait patiently for me to recover and get back on...Did I mention how nice and helpful everyone was??  Shirley and Joyce, I can't thank you enough - I don't know last names and I?m terrible with names to begin with, but you to helped so much in getting me over my heebie jeebies after that, and picking up my sponge when I dropped it, too.  I really can't thank you enough.

Finally got to the 1/2 mile from camp sign and breathed a huge sigh of relief.  The fog had finally lifted and the heat was coming on like it only does in Texas...
On to part 2.