Re: [RC] "pound dog" mentality for horses? - SandyDSA

I don't believe that "source" is in itself indicative of potential on its own; however, generally, a horse is dumped for a reason, in my mind never a GOOD one, but there you have it. A horse of unknown parentage and/or history is a gamble no matter how you want to slice it. It is through no fault of the horse that he or she is summarily left to whatever elements available. Non-registered horses are not of lesser quality simply because of a lack of paperwork; however, many times they are sold or given away without papers because they are poor representatives of the blood. At the same time, some "beautiifully papered" horses would NEVER find thei way into MY barn because their star status as "show' or "halter" horses does me no good at all in terms of either RIDING or BREEDING competent athletes of the Arabian breed. Therefore, it is true that buying from a breeder many times is as much a crap shoot as the auction. I would much prefer to pay a bigger price to a known endurance breeder; but since we also do compete in other disciplines, some correct type is desirable, and a level of smoothness to the conformation, proper length of back for clearing fences, and an elasticity of movement that frankly every distance horse may not have. We look for a lot in a horse, so wouldn't assume to find it at an auction