Re: [RC] political issues with placing? - Lif Strand

At 05:51 PM 9/3/2004, Sharlene Roberts-Caudle wrote:
She had only ridden 2 LD rides, but she said that there were politics involved and that disapointed her.

No offense, but people who don't have much experience often will point to others as the cause of their problems when they don't do as well as they wanted to. I'd say that an LD rider who cares that much about placing is not focusing on what LD rides are for. Additionally, before assuming that your friend is correct in her assessment of the situation, the "other side of the story" needs to be known.

Personally, I don't think the first side of the story is all that unbiased. I have *never* been to an endurance ride (admittedly I've never done an LD) where I felt there was any politics involved with placings, and as you mentioned, of all the complaints on RideCamp, changing the times is not one of them! I'm not saying what your friend complained about *couldn't* happen, but I am saying that once upon a time I was a newbie too, and I went through a lot of sour grapes before I allowed my eyes to be opened to the truth. In my mind, I pointed my finger at ride management for what really were my own mistakes or just plain ignorance. I just didn't know any better - I was new at it! I think that describes what happens more accurately than blaming politics does.

Volunteer for a ride and become educated. Get rid of the competitive attitude when doing an LD. Those two things alone would probably change your friend's mind about politics in endurance.

   Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
           Quemado NM USA