Re: [RC] Taking a Rider Option - Barbara McCrary

That is considered RO, the rider's decision because of rider fatigue, illness or injury.

Barbara McCrary
----- Original Message -----
From: j marshall
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2004 8:20 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] Taking a Rider Option

What if it is the rider who isn't fit to continue but the horse is fine.
new to the sport and just curious.. Thanks Newbie Jen

Michael Maul <mmaul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The topic of when a rider can take a RO pull has been
discussed at length recently on the AERC Members Only Forum.
Since I think the topic is of general interest to AERC
members on other lists - I'm reposting it.

A number of members were under the impression that pulling
their own equine resulted in a RO listing in the results and
a vet check was not required.

The AERC BoD discussed this topic in 2002 and set the
following in place for the 2003 and later ride seasons.

I believe it's another good step in taking better care of
our equine partners.

The quote below is from the Endurance News Ride Managers
Forum Jan 2003 page 9 by BoD member Connie Caudill.

Title - New for 2003: Pull Codes

"First, all horses - before being dismissed or pulled from
the ride - MUST be examined by a veterinarian. If! the vet
says the horse is not "fit to continue" then the rider
option is not to be written on the pull code in any form.
The reason the horse is not fit to continue must be
written down, even if the rider told the vet that he did not
wish to continue. If the horse is deemed "fit to continue"
and passes the vet exam but the rider feels that the horse
is not quite right, either because he is a little off in
soundness or metabolics, he may make the decision to pull
his own horse out of competition. At that time you must
list either RO-L rider option lame or RO-M, rider option
metabolic. "