[RC] Human shin splints - rides2far

Hate to post more today but it's a need to know thing. What movement is
it that causes the "tearing" feeling of a shin splint? I've had soreness
off and on at various times, but not consistently. Only time it was ever
*really* bad was 100 in Vermont. Seemed that all the downhills caused it.
It felt like a *hot* tearing feeling down the front/outside of my shin
(REALLY bad). At that time I wrapped it with duct tape and took drugs.
Yesterday I rode an hour and a half. Trotted a few downhills, was having
to do some squeezing to keep the horse moving forward (humidity & hills).
Swapped horses with Bekki Crippen for a little while to let her try mine
and her stirrups were *short*. (first time anyone other than a small
child's stirrups have been too short for me!) Rode super short for a bit.
After I got off the front of my right shin was hot to the touch and as
the night went on got sort of tight and slightly swollen. I could feel
the heat of it through my pantsleg today.

I had been emphasizing to Bekki to keep the ankles loose while trotting
downhill so was concentrating on that myself. I was working at not
putting a whole lot of weight in my stirrups as I posted.  Whatever I did
really did a number on my shin (right shin...my left foot is always the
one that hurts). Any advice on how to avoid this? I tend to stand on the
outsides of my feet and turn my shoes over. I've considered shimming up
the outside of my stirrups.  I do switch them out to keep the pads from
wearing unevenly. Wearing newer shoes that I haven't turned over as bad
seems to help the feet but I had on the old shoes yesterday. I've got a
ride next week and would love to try out any ideas ya'll wanna throw my
way.

Angie

Get your name as your email address.