RE: [RC] [RC] Circulation to the hoof - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Ok,  I have been staying out of this one on purpose.  Maybe I still should. :)  But here is what I have seen:

I think you can do both.

I think you can have a healthy hoof shod.

I think you can have a crappy hoof unshod (depends on the horse).

My endurance horses are shod pretty much all year.  Can't think of the last time one was barefoot.  My horses have nice, big, healthy frogs. (And their feet didn't fall off...yet)

I have an old QH mare that has bad feet.  She is trimmed and runs outside all the time.  So she should be getting lots of circulation...right?  Her feet are the worst at the barn.

I think that if a horse is shod correctly, they will get circulation and can have a healthy hoof.

So, Howard, I have found that the frog was negatively affected at MY house.  Again, it matters HOW the horse is trimmed and shod.

Just My Opion....please don't jump at new bait on RC.
Jody

Howard Bramhall <howard9732@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Therein lies the dilemna, with all of this, Jonni. Many owners do shoe
constantly, with no problems, and, their horses hooves are fine. But, from
what I've seen, personally, there is a difference with the frog of a shod
horse and one that is not. In my limited experience, and, only working with
6 horses, rotating the shoe'n of each horse, on the same ground, same
feeding regimine, same weather conditions (same fluctuation pattern), same
everything, the frog of the horse who is not shod looks better than when it
is.

Whether or not this is a detriment, I'm not really clear on. But, I will
say, that, like you mentioned, when the blood isn't circulating, parts of
the frog and the sole will disentegrate and turn to dust. My belief is it's
because it has less contact with the ground, being elevated by the metal
shoe.

The other problem I have with the shoe is, on a shod foot, the hoof wall
that meets the shoe has to be, or should be, perfectly flat. Those blown
out quarters that happen with horses shod all the time are caused by those
nails. It weakens that section of the hoof. With a barefoot horse, the
hoof wall does not have to be pefectly flat. You can file down the quarters
to the sole, and let that part of the hoof wall rebuild itself.

I hope ya'll don't mind me talking a lot about this one. Like some of you
are passionate about your riding record, I'm passionate about this topic. I
promise not to get personal on this one cause I really would like to keep an
open mind about it all. Like the fat/carb controversy, I really believe you
don't have to choose just one on this. You can do both.

cya,
Howard