[RC] barefoot and circulation - Candace Kahn

<<No, the shoe does NOTdisable the expansion. >>

I disagree!!

<<One can readily see the wear marks on the bars of the shoe where the bars of the hoof have worked out and
back in.>>

I agree, there is some movement and if you reread my post I said  "Normal expansion is no longer possible as the shoe has been put on when the hoof is non-weightbearing and in its narrowest state.  So when weightbearing only a slight amount of movement is allowed in the shod foot.  This leads to decreased circulation and reduced bloodflow within the hoof. "
<<Additionally, the nails have SOME give to them--which is why shoessometimes become loose over time, even when the clinches are still intact.>>

I disagree.  It is not the nails that have some give - it is the hoof wall that wears away and thus doesn't hold the nail tight.

<<I've never had a problem with shoe stability with only three nails per side, given a decent farrier and a horse with even averagely (is that a word?) decent feet.>>

Many people "don't have problems" and as I said I am not disputing this or advocating or preaching what anyone should or shouldn't do.  However, the point I was and am making is that circulation IS decreased, expansion IS decreased when a hoof is shod.  Whether you decide that is critical to the well being of your horse is your decision to make.

Candace Kahn
Naturally Bare Hoof Care
New and improved Boa Boots are here!!
authorized dealer of Boa Hoof Boots, Barefoot Treeless Saddles,
Supracor and Equipedic Saddle Pads, Best Friends Grazing Muzzle
Painted Sky Ranch
PO Box 639
Jacksonville, OR 97530
541-899-0149; 541-899-0150