Sent: Sunday, August 22, 2004 6:09 PM
Subject: [RC] Trailer Safety Chains

In a message dated 8/22/2004 7:02:05 PM Mountain Daylight Time, dotwgns@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Still curious.     Do most folks use them?    Do most states require them?
I know of at least one case where the hitch came off the ball, but they were
able to stop before the trailer went rocketing off the road.    Chains kept
it sort of under control.   Still not fun.

I always hook my chains on to the hitch. I also hook the hooks so that the open side of the "C" side of the hook is toward the outside of the truck, if that makes sense. The owner of a trailer manufacturing company told me that it is the safest, strongest way to hook up the chains. These chains came on my 3-horse slant and are very large. Hopefully the size means they are strong too.  Beccy in Ut. (All I have to do now is get hubby to hook up my battery on the inside of the tack compartment so that "If" the trailer were to come loose, the trailer brakes would engage)